SC - New World Foods-rant (was: turkey)

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Feb 16 00:57:09 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:

>Ibn al Mubarrad wrote a short 15th c. cookbook; Charles Perry's
>translation was published in PPC (and is in my collection). That's
>the only one I know of, but there are probably more.

Charles Perry mentions several in The Fate of the Tail, among them Kitâb
Wasf (14th c, actually al-Baghdadi with a few dozen additional recipes), and
two Iranian 16th and 17th century collections.

He also says the most popular cookbook of the Arab Middle ages, judging from
the number of surviving manuscripts, seems to have been the Syrian 13th c.
Kitâb al-Wusla (I´m a bit confused here - has this book been translated?),
and says virtually every MS of it has a section of recipes that have been
added at a later time.

Nanna