SC - 1430-1450 recipe for Strawberye...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Feb 18 12:55:21 PST 2000

Alex Wollangk wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just came across the following recipe:
>
> Strawberye
>
> Take Strawberys, & Waysshe hem in tyme of yere in gode red wyne; þan strayne
> þorwe a cloþe, & do hem in a potte with gode Almaunde mylke, a-lay it with
> Amyndoun oþer with þe flowre of Rys, & make it chargeaunt and lat it boyle,
> and do þer-in Roysonys of coraunce, Safroun, Pepir, Sugre grete plente,
> pouder Gyngere, Canel, Galyngale; poynte it with Vynegre, & a lytil whyte
> grece put þer-to; coloure it with Alkenade, & droppe it a-bowte, plante it
> with þe graynys of Pome-garnad, & þan serue it forth.

We made this at a cooks' night a few years back- it came out something
between a mousse and a pudding, was a gross puke-pink, but tasted pretty
good. The main difficulty we had was finding alkanet, and getting
strawberries and pomagranates at the same time. IIRC, we used dried pom
seeds.

Not a bad recipe though.

'Lainie