SC - Apicius Venison Sauce Recipes

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Feb 18 13:47:30 PST 2000

I just typed this in for a friend, and I thought some of you who don't have
Apicius yet might like a copy.

Flowers and Rosenbaum , Book VIII, section II

1. Ius in Cervum- Sauce for Venison

Crush pepper, lovage, caraway, origan, celery-seed, asafoetida root,
fennel-seed; pound well, pour on liquamen, wine, passum, a little oil. When
it comes to the boil thicken with cornflour. Moisten the cooked stag inside
and out, and serve.

2. In Platoneum- For Fallow Deer

and for every kind of venison you can use the same sauce.

3. Aliter- Venison, Another Method

Boil the stag, and roast lightly. Pound pepper, lovage, caraway,
celery-seed; add honey, vinegar, liquamen, and oil. When hot thicken with
cornflour and pour over the meat.

4. Ius in Cervo- Sauce for Venison.

Pepper, lovage, Welsh onion, origan, pine-kernals, Jerico dates, honey,
liquamen, mustard, vinegar, oil.

5. Cervinae Conditura- Sauce for Venison

Pepper, cumin, herbs, parsley, onion, rue, honey, liquamen, mint, passum,
caroenum, and a little oil. Thicken with cornflour when boiling.

6. Iura Ferventia in Cervo- Hot Sauce for Venison

Pepper, lovage, parsley, cumin, toasted pine kernals or almonds. Add honey,
vinegar, wine, a little oil, liquamen, and stir.

7. Embamma in Cervinum Assam- Sauce for Roast Venison

Pepper, spikenard, bay-leaf, celery seed, dried onion, fresh rue, honey,
vinegar, Liquamen: add Jerico dates, raisins, and oil.

8. Aliter in Cervum Assum Iura Ferventia- Hot Sauce for Roast Venison,
Another
    Method

Pepper, lovage, parsley, soaked <dried> damsons, wine, honey, vinegar,
liquamen, a little oil. Stir with a bunch of leek and savory.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous