SC - Russian Birch Beer?

Håkan Hedrén h940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Sat Feb 19 04:57:58 PST 2000

Jeff Gedney wrote:

> Ahoy the list,
> While reading Hakluyts "Voyages" (published in very late Period - about 1590
> or thereabouts), I came across a reference in the section covering the
> Muscovy Company, from about 1530, or so, when a corresponcent was
> describing the foods and drinks of the Russians with which he was
> presented while essentially trying to hammer out a trade deal in Moscow.
> He described several types of "meades" ( including a good working
> description of kvass ), one of which was " mayde of the root of the Birche
> tree" ( I forget now what it was called. It was named, but the book went
> back to the library ).
> Do any of you know what this was, and how it was prepared?
> any have a copy of the Domestroi? is it in there?
>
> Brandu

I've never heard of the roots being used, but birch sap is often used in
wine/mead making.
The actual composition of the sap is unknown to me, but I've read that the
Vikings drank it after winter, suposedly for it's sugar/nutritional content.
I'll try and dig up a recipe if you like.

Angus MacIomhair