SC - re: SC-OOP - Sucess!

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Feb 19 19:25:44 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 19 Feb 00,, that Marian Deborah Rosenberg wrote:

>Brighid wrote:
>> When you say that you proofed your yeast... did you actually see signs of
>>life before you continued on?  After ten minutes in warm water, the yeast
>> should be foaming noticeably.

> I can say for certain that it was warm in the kitchen as the entire
> apartment is nice and cozy warm (being on the third floor and having a
> nicely overheated office on the first floor).  I can't say for certain
> about much else as I was working with an ear infection that wouldn't let
> me sleep, and then working with an ear infection that wanted to go to
> sleep NOW halfway through my getting something started. ---

If the kitchen was warm, but you didn't get risen dough in 6 hours, then
you probably had some dead yeast.  The next time you bake, look
carefully for signs of life when you proof your yeast.  If you don't see
foaming, discard the yeast/water mixture and start over with fresh yeast.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net