SC - period bread recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 19 20:10:25 PST 2000

Marian asked:
>   Anyone know any really good period bread recipies?

If I remember correctly, there are less than half-a-dozen period
recipes that have survived. Several of these are in this file in
the FOOD-BREADS section of my Florilegium:
bread-msg        (161K) 12/13/99    Medieval breads and grains.

However, a large number of periodoid and folk bread recipes have been
posted to this list. For these you might look at these files in the
same section:
bread-stuffed-msg (28K)  7/21/99    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
breadmaking-msg  (190K)  1/14/00    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (49K)  1/14/00    Period flat or unleavened bread recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (36K)  1/14/00    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread recipes.

Also the info in this file should be of interest:
flour-msg         (45K)  2/ 8/00    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.

You also had some questions about yeast. So these two files should answer
some of your questions on handling yeasts:
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine Rountre.
yeasts-msg        (59K) 10/ 6/99    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in
the CMA.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your bread adventures.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net