SC - quail eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 21 05:33:21 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > Prennés des oeufs pochiés en huille tous entiers sans esquaille,
>
> the message talks about both chicken and quail eggs, so I can't tell if
> this is for quail eggs. There is no English translation with it. Is
> "esquaille" quail?

Well, modern French for quail would be something like "caille", IIRC,
but Scully says this translates as something like, "Take the oil in
which you poached your eggs without their shells". Presumably
"esquaille" is part of the word family which includes "shell", "scale", etc.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com