SC - Radish Pynade

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 21 21:36:21 PST 2000

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

> I lost about 8 issues (or more) of the digest this afternoon when EUDORA
> burped and forgot about every message I have ever recieved since efore
> Christmas.  But I caught this one.  The kids planted some radishes in the
> back yard that should be ready to pick in 2-3 weeks, so this is a very
> timely recipe to try out!  You mentioned somewhere that it is in a cream
> sauce?  Where is the cream mentioned in this?  I am very new to reading
> "Old English" or whatever this is...  :)  Thanks for offering your expertise!

Probably if I offered less expertise I'd have more for myself ;  ) .
Actually I'm not sure if this message is for me but that's never stopped
me before; why should it now? Yes, the radish pynade looks like fun;
there are other versions that don't call for radishes. Often it's a sort
of pine nut brittle similar to the Italian noucato.

No, there's no cream sauce connected with this. I believe it was Akim
who mentioned having been taught by a chef a method of cooking and
serving radishes, sometimes with a cream sauce, that had supposedly been
in his (the chef's) family for many generations. Akim wanted to know
about period radish recipes to see if they bore any resemblance to the
cooked-radish-in-tarragon-cream-sauce-or-butter-with-dill dishes he'd
been taught. I mentioned pynade as one of  several more typical radish
dishes from period, and said that there are a lot of generations between
the end of the SCA period and today.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy