SC - chicken broth questions

Adler, Chris Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Tue Feb 22 13:33:03 PST 2000

Since I read the digest, I'm sure someone has replied to this before me, but
here's my two cents...

Regarding feast-prepping chicken and use of the skin/fat: sounds like you
got a good deal on the chicken parts. Generally, here in upstate New York, I
find that the best prices are still for whole chickens when I buy fowl for
feasts, but sometimes it's more economical to get parts. I know that the
parts are generally more appreciated at the feast table, since people don't
have to hack their meat off the bird in the dark...But the whole birds LOOK
a lot more Medieval. It's a tradeoff.

However, I wouldn't suggest using the fat and skin that you've removed for
stock. They won't really add that much flavor but they will add a lot of
grease, which you'll just want to skim off anyway. If you'd gotten whole
birds, I would suggest keeping the neck, gizzard, heart (but not the
liver!!) when you're prepping the birds for the feast and making up some
lovely FREE stock with an onion, celery, carrots, a bay leaf, salt,
peppercorns, and some fresh herbs like parsley.

Since you're using parts and don't have the organs, why don't you instead
render the chicken fat and make schmaltz? You can make some absolutely yummy
Jewish recipes that way.

I can't think of any use for the skin. Maybe someone else can.

Toodles,
Katja

THL Katja Davidova Orlova Khazarina
Barony of Thescorre, AEthelmearc