SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 22 17:58:52 PST 2000

Lorix wrote:

> >Good fortune the list.
> >
> >I am compiling my recipes for a feast & have come
> >across a slight problem.  Attending the feast will
> >be a couple of people with a variety of food
> >preferences and/or allergies.  Now I am fine with
> >most things but I am looking for a protein dish
> >for a lactose intolerant vegetarian (in this case
> >meaning no fish or chicken, butter, cheese or
> >other dairy products).  Now, this basically
> >precludes pastry dishes too ;-(  In this
> >particular case, eggs are somewhat of a problem
> >because it is an animal product . . .

Wait a sec. Why is pastry precluded by any of the above? You can shorten
with a variety of fats, ranging from olive oil to vegtetable shortening,
with good results. I'm just curious; there may a perfectly good reason
that I can't see.

As for a mushroom dish, it occurs to me that if you're going to produce
a catch-all vegetarian protein dish for both the total vegetarians and
those with various allergies and intolerances (while I will cheerfully
cater to the needs of such people, wusses who simply don't like
vegetables, etc., can, as my grandma used to say, verblatz) , you might
be better off with a bean dish, which is probably less likely to cause
allergic reactions than mushrooms, statistically (I think!). Beans have
more protein anyway, AFAIK.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy