SC - Pickled Onions and Eggs - Thank you !!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 23 22:24:55 PST 2000

Ras declared:
> HICKS_M at casa.gov.au writes:
> << if there aren't any pickled nibblies >>
>
> I don't think we know whether they did or did not serve pickled nibbles at
> taverns. What we do know is that, based on extant recipes, they most likely
> did not include recipes for pickled nibbles in the books written for wealthy
> and noble households to use at feasts. Those are the books we have access to.
> We don't have any books containing recipes specifically geared toward taverns.

But I think we do have writings on what was served in taverns and such. I'd
be surprised if there weren't some referances or descriptions in Shakespeare.

Somewhere around here I've got a secondary source on taverns and inns
through the ages. I seem to remember that it did contain some information
on our period when I was scanning through it. I don't remember how well
it was footnoted, but if I find it, I will try to remember to post the
bibliographic info and a review to this list.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net