SC - Book - History of Bread?

Thu Feb 24 07:50:39 PST 2000

You don't buy this book for the recipes.  Dupaigne is a noted historian with
ties the the Museum of Man, one of the major antropological/archeological
institutes in France.  It is apparently what the title says it is, a
historical examination of bread.

I came across a bibliography entry for this book in French a few years ago.
After reading some of the related footnotes, I decided I wanted a copy even
if I had to do my own translation.  The Roders have saved me the trouble.
The American edition came out last November.

If you are looking for historical information for the reference shelf, the
book is probably right up your alley.  If the interest is casual, try
getting through the library, $60 is a little steep for light reading.  If
you are interested in recipes for baking, I'd look at The Italian Baker,
Bernard Clayton's book on French breads, or David's English Bread and Yeast
Cookery.

Bear