SC - Apicius in Ireland? and ham ideas?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:59:39 PST 2000

Would it be realistic at all to serve a few recipes from Apicius at an event
themed around "the vikings are attacking the coast" of Ireland?
My research on 'celtic' food is pretty much limited to the Florilegium and
"Land of Milk and Honey, The story of Traditional Food and Drink' Brid Mahon
1991. In the early chapters, she gives lists of foods available in ancient
Ireland but later the book fills with descriptons of 19th-century
traditions.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with foods in those lists.
The period between those two extremes is what I want to work with, would
Apician manuscripts have been available or was Ireland influenced culinarily
by the Romans?  This would not be an Apician feast, but I'm wondering if I
can use a recipe or two?   After reading the Mahon book, I wondered if a
custard using eggs, milk and honey would be an appropriate celtic/irish
food, then here comes that very recipe in Apicius.

Question 2: Winn-Dixie has country hams for 99-cents a pound!!  limit one
per customer, but I'm willing to go to all three W-D's in town to buy three
of them, and that ought to be more than enough for 90 people as part of a
feast, don't you think?  Or should I send one of my co-cooks out to get one
or two more?   I'm thinking of soaking/boiling, then roasting with honey
glaze?  (again, it turns out this is an Apician thing.)

Bonne