SC - Distress in Trimaris

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Feb 25 14:20:42 PST 2000

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:

> Over the years, I have been alternately (and sometimes simultaneously)
> bemused and appalled by missives found in my Kingdom newsletters.  I think
> I'm still in shock over this one, and have decided to share this latest
> slap-in-the-face with y'all.  It's a dilly.
>
> >From the Crown Princess of Trimaris, Anastasiya Zadorovc, OL:
>
> "While I am on the subject of food, let me address feast in general.  More
> than anything, his Highness and I want our populace to be able to eat the
> food that their populace has paid for.  So when we step up, we request that
> all Feastcrats endeavor to stay away from all period feasts.  We do not mind
> if some removes are of a period nature, however, we wish other removes of a
> more easily digested by the majority-of-the-populace nature!  We understand
> the reason that totally period feasts are cooked, but in some cases our
> populace is paying the price for historical accuracy: and their
> twentieth-century palates (and sometimes tummies) are unable to appreciate
> the research and effort that went into cooking that particular time period."

My dear lady Baroness,

I could repeat my recent post about making the majority bend to the whim
of a minority (OTOH, that is what royalty is about), but you probably
already know that sort of argument...

I think some of the serious cooks should gather together and _carefully_
quiz HRH about the meaning of her letter. If she meant exactly what she
said (and it isn't just a matter of her own tummy problem or a whiny
retinue member) then I would be sorely tempted to say something along
the lines of "Why, if someone is unable to appreciate a period meal
(assuming this is not a lack of education) do they come to feast? I do
not wish to particpate in the re-creation of combat, so I do not enter
the lists. I do not personally appreciate Tudor clothing, so I do not
make or wear it. But NEVER would I ask that combat be stopped because I
do not care for it, nor would I banish hoops and corsets because they do
not suit my aesthetic." If the attitude is what we unfortunately suspect
it might be (and only then- and I would have to be prepared to the
possibility) I think I would strip off my gown, leaving jeans and
t-shirt underneath and say "These clothes offend my modern tastes and I
am unable to appreciate them." And If I were a Laurel (and the Devil
drove a Zamboni!) I would remove the medallion and say "This offends my
modern taste and is unweildy and gets in the way. I will remove it until
I can appreciate it again- perhaps in six months or so" and toddle off
to find something else to do.

A Monarch that takes actions that discourage the practice of legitimate
Arts&Sciences is in violation of their Coronation vows (at least here).
I would have no problem refusing fealty to such a person.

Grrr.

Gotta go pack-

'Lainie