SC - Spinach (recipe)

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Feb 25 14:36:30 PST 2000

> PARA HAZER ESCUDILLA DE ESPINACAS -- To make a dish of
> spinach

	Well, I attempted this dish the other night, and did everything wrong.
I have lots of ideas of how to go about doing it better next time,
though.  For starters, I was using chopped frozen spinach.  For reasons I
won't go into now, I have LOTS of chopped frozen spinach, so that will be
my green of choice for the time.  But, I will have it thoroughly
defrosted and squeezed next time.  I took my prunes and chopped them, and
then added them to the broth to cook down some before adding the greens.
That worked to some extent, but I think I would be happier with a much
more sauce-like consistancy from the combination of those two
ingredients.  I think I will also fry the spinach up for a bit in the
oil, and then add it to the sauce to combine.  I had to cook the spinach
for too long, and it became bitter.  I also thought it was too runny, so
I added some whole wheat bread crumbs to give it some body.  I was just
about to call it a complete loss, when my lord came in and took a taste.
 He said his whole body screamed out "IRON!!! YOU NEED IRON RIGHT NOW!
EAT THIS STUFF!"  So, he did.  There is none of my first attempt left,
and he is enjoying an, um, healthy constitution just now ;)  I must
admit, for iron, it is a pretty good dish.  I'll be trying it out again
soon, and will do better (as in, do more than throw all the ingredients
in a pot and apply heat.  Really, my technique was nowhere to be seen.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.)
	Christianna