SC - Re: The Complaint of Her Highness of Trimaris

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 06:35:05 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/26/00 7:01:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< It is perhaps possible that Their Highnesses wish to put an end to "Bad"
 period feasts.  We have, I am sure, all taken part in unpleasant period
 culinary experiments.  Rather than hurt the feelings of specific gentles in
 the Kingdom, Their Highnesses were seeking a way to deal with a situation in
 a more general, more tactful, way.  I agree that the particular choice of
 words may strike a discord, as we are, proportedly, a re-creation society.

 I am sure that, were you to disuss this issue in private with Their
 Highnesses, you would find the issue clarified.

Being of a different Kingdom, that of the Midrealm, I have so far stayed out
of this issue as I felt it was not my place to add firewood to this  bonfire.
So, please forgive me for my two cents, but here they are. Thank goodness
this has not happened in my Kingdom, I would probably be banned for actually
serving the Happy Meals.

The poster, and I give them respect for voicing an opinion that has not yet
been made on this list, sees their Highnesses as trying not to slight
artisans by saying "you don't cook good period food, so then cook something
else"

This would imply that these people who have been offending are actually good
cooks. It won't help if they cook modern food poorly. The solution is not to
ban the art but to promote it. IMO They should sponsor period cooking
workshops, elevate incredible period cooks, create a special award for
outstanding achievement in cooking, or encourage members of the  OL to take
under their wing the artisans that could use some guidance in these matters.

Publicly announcing that you can't do this or that is NO solution. An old
addage, if you're not a part of the solution, then you are a part of the
problem.

The poster suggests to speak to Her Highness in private. Unfortunately, Her
Highness didn't think that her PUBLIC admonition would cause such ruccus
among the artisans she is debasing. No cook can be in a very good position at
this point, they are either risking the wrath of Their future Majesties if
they cook a period feast (although be it very delicious) or they risk
compromising their work and integrity in cooking "non period" dishes.

Would this same line of thinking imposed upon the other arts & sciences and
what would be the repurcussions.?

Ok everyone, pull out those royal blue bridesmaid dresses from your cousins
wedding in 1984, and wear them while you serve the Happy Meals!

Hauviette