SC - Is period cooking "different" from the other arts?

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 07:17:49 PST 2000

I'm with Ras on this one.
I can enjoy looking at all the period garments I like, but if I want to
experience one for myself, that involves wearing it.  If I want to do that, I
have to pay, either by buying it from a vendor, or making it myself.
I can watch all the fighting I want, but if I want to experience it myself, I
must pay, by learning the skills involved, and obtaining at least minimal
armor.
I can admire all the period armor I want, but if I want to own it, I must
either purchase it with money, or build it myself.
I can watch all the feasters, or I can pay, either by purchasing from a
vendor, or learning to make it myself.
What's different?
The only thing I see different is that sometimes Society money is used for
the up front purchasing of materials.  This kind of "sponsorship" is not
often offered in the other arts, except that Calligraphers who are making
official scrolls may have their supplies paid for by the Society funds.
I even know of at least one event where the entire feast was paid for by
Society funds.  SunDragon Barony's share of the volunteer funds from Estrella
XV were so great that the Baron and Baroness declared that the funds be spent
to offer a free feast for the populace at the Baronial Investiture last fall.
Does anyone know of this kind of thing happening in the other arts?
Does any local group provide funds for making garb for newcomers, perhaps?
Does any local group provide funds for making minimal armor or weaponry for
their fighters?
Well, yes, if you get down to the lowest levels.  House Warrior Haven works
together on getting a new fighter in armor.  We don't provide everything, but
if someone needs a gorget, say, and can't afford the raw materials, we see
that she gets a gorget, AND learns how to make one.  Second hand armor is
passed down freely.  Garb is passed down.  If a newbie does not have garb, he
is given second hand garb, or it's made for him as a gift, and we teach him
how to make his own.  Household funds quite often go for the raw materials of
quite a few things that are later sold or given away.  We often use Household
funds for the purchase of raw materials for gifts to Royalty.  Household
funds are used to purchase raw material for anything used for the House as a
whole, too, such as the Encampment walls we are building for future Wars.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt
(m.k.a. Buckeye, AZ)