SC - Education-Public Consumption key

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Feb 27 18:00:32 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/27/00 3:33:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, seumas at mind.net
> writes:
>
> << The
>  performers are not waiting for the occasional curious person to take a
>  chance and come to the concert hall or theater, and pay for the
>  experience as well. They are going out on a mission of conversion. That
>  is what I advocate.
>
>  Seumas >>
>
> In this, my friend, we have reached common ground. I really don't know how to
> achieve this conversion other than by example. Local feasts in this area are
> more often than not sold out weeks in advance and I can't think of a feast in
> the last 3 years that still had onboard space available at the door.

I am assuming you live in a branch with a larger population base to draw
from. Summits is a neo-natal principality that seems to suffer from
being on a kingdom border on one side (mentally a barrier to travel and
eventing), an ocean and and mostly (SCA) unpopulated region on two
others, and the remaining side populated by SCA members who think two
hours is too far too long a drive to a Summits event or feast (three in
the other direction is nothing....). Most of our feasts max out around
40. Investiture for the last three years has had a feast attendance of
80-90, with a site attendance only a dozen or more usually. Adiantum's
Midwinter's Feast tends to run about the same, IIRC. There was not one
this year, as the barony hosted Twelth Night, and Midwinter's would've
run about two weeks after hosting a major kingdom event.

Our population being so small and taxed, we have a shortage of willing
and experienced kitchen stewards (I love that title. Beats the dreadful
'feastocrat' anyday) sometimes. Here, it can be an issue. In April, I'm
stewarding the feast my shire's champion's tourney. That I know of, I
was the only one that volunteered. There are, however, three others that
I know of that have stewarded feasts enough to be considered
experienced. One of them just recently stewarded a feast in a shire over
the mountains, because they couldn't find someone there to do it. I
stewarded our principality Investiture feast last December in a shire
three hours away from me because they lacked enough people with both the
time and experience to host that event unaided (and it was my old home
shire and home of the second most beautiful lady (IMHO) in Summits).

So my point of view currently emphasizes the need for evangelical
education, not just waiting for the good gentles to come in the door. In
parallel, my shire is trying to do more high profile demos to recruit
more and fresh faces, rather than just gleaning what we can from events
and friends.

Seumas