SC - Public Consumption [Was Distress in Trimaris]

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 27 21:11:23 PST 2000

Seumas suggested:
> An alternative might be to plan a 'demo' table at larger events,
> organized and staffed by several cooks working together. Make several
> dishes, set them on the table, and offer free tastes to passers-by. Have
> the documentation and recipies/redactions handy.

I did something similar to this recently when I cooked a luncheon for
the Their Majesties of Ansteorra and their entourage.

After the folks it was cooked for had their opportunity to partake, I
opened up what was left to the populace. Some of the dishes were items
that probably would not be served at a big feast because of time or
cost constraints. I had the menu and the ingredients lists available.
I had meant to have the recipes but ran out of time in the crush of
getting the food itself ready.

> The targets I would be
> after are the people who wouldn't pay money for a 'period' feast, but
> would take a free sample if it's made available to them. And since
> they're not paying money for a meal, their expectations may be less
> demanding than if they've already offered up US$4-8 for a meal.

Well, in this case I was simply targeting anyone who wandered up. Some
of whom appeared because a friend had alerted them to the available
food. I'm not at all sure how you would specifically target the
audience you are describing.

Another thing I do is take period food dishes to the various SCA
pot lucks. Unfortunately, only a small minority of the dishes at
these, at least in my area, are period foods. Again, this is an
enviornment where the expectations of getting something good since
it was paid for might be reduced.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net