SC - Is period cooking "different" from the other arts?

David & Sue Carter drcarter at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 28 02:58:22 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous said:
<snip>
> Along those lines, I've often wondered why there must be just one
> big feast at an SCA event. Why not have the one big feast, be it
> whatever, and have a second, perhaps more expensive feast, of period
> foods for those interested in this. But the logistics of having only
> one kitchen may rule this out. But I think it is worth considering.
> Free-enterprise and all that.
> --
I believe you are reading our mind - or is it that great minds think alike?
For some time now Osgot and I have been plotting to do a Principality event
with 3 or possibly 4 feasts within the event.

The thought runs something like this:
Our group has several accomplished cooks who have done small feasts (50-60)
VERY well, but are afraid of a big one.
The SCA time line is diverse and people should be able to eat in personae as
much as possible.
A balmy summer eve would be a good time to eat out doors, and set the tents
up in a u shape with seperate sections being different themes.
All themes would have high table set for Royalty, who could choose how much,
of what and when to eat.
Entertainment is themed to each area.
People book for a particular section.
There would also be a tavern, serving over the counter meals at first come
first serve basis.
We have several good campsites around with massive kitchens and walk in
coolrooms that could be used.
There is an overall feast co-ordinator to head off disputes about equipment.

This will happen, but don't quite know when, yet.

We attended the event when a version of this was tried when Purgatorio (West
Fall Investiture) came to Australia, with limited success.  There's was
inside in a many roomed venue, but the kitchen was poorly located and only
'adequate' from what I saw.  I think we can learn from their experience,
plus our event wouldn't be quite as big.

Esla
mka Sue Carter