SC - MASTIC

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 07:19:18 PST 2000

Well, one positive aspect to this whole bruhaha in Trimaris about feasting is
that it has spured me on to start looking up recipes again.
I recently asked what *mastic* is.  Well, I found the answer!
Phillipa Seton

THE FOOD OF THE WESTERN WORLD An Encyclopedia of Food from North America and
Europe
Theodora FitzGibbon
Quadrangle / New York Times Book Co.
1976

MASTIC
(Pistacia lentiscus)
An evergreen resinous shrub native to Southern Europe, the sap of which is
used as a culinary flavoring.  .... The gum tastes fairly like liquorice, is
obtained by making cuts into the tree bark.