SC - Generalities.

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Feb 28 10:01:24 PST 2000

> Glenda.
>
> (In my opinion these decisions are what you get by royalty being chosen by
> 'Who can stand up to being thumped the hardest for the longest'
> competitions. Imagine what the SCA could be if Royalty was chosen for their
> brains (or if there was more use of the Champion method)?? G.)

I understand this is your opinion but it is nonetheless a bit insulting to some
of
the members of this list, including me. I was not hit the hardest for the
longest.
I called the shots I was hit with and managed to hit my opponents who also
called honorably. As a dumb stick jock I tried to rule with justice, logic and
love.
So have many of my predecessors. Some are louts who would not call a shot
or ruled poorly. Some were saints I can never hope to emulate. But to lump
all monarchs as rhino-hides too stupid to rule is pushing the issue a bit much.

I have seen other rulers, as baron or baroness of a group, chosen for their
artistic ability, noble attitude, intelligence, charisma, etc... who nearly
tore
apart their baronies.

People have debated the merits of different styles of choosing their ruling
monarchs for the past 30 years. This style is really no better or worse than
the other styles. Let us please refrain from making broad insulting statements
about any group other than hardheaded picky eaters who fail to appreciated
good cooking.

Thank You,

Count Gunthar Jonsson, Knight, Baron

and also speaking as the