SC - Re: Distress in Trimaris

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Feb 28 12:45:28 PST 2000

I agree that Her Highness' comments could be considered ill-advised.
As King I had to sit through boring bardic circles, endless meetings,
dance recitals, and other things that I would rather be off bashing
people's
heads instead of doing.  But the point remains that being Crown means
that you must do things for the people.

Now when I first began this list I was of the "I feed 'em what they want

to eat" crowd. I would make exotic food but 90% of the "Period" feasts
I ever had were inedible. They were often done by artsy types who
tried to show how artsy they were instead of cooks wanting to feed
people.
I'll never forget the "raisin feast" ugh. But I've had bad feasts in all
venues.
It is only recently here in Ansteorra that "period" does not immediately

equate with "bad". There were some good period feasts but not enough to
change the collective kingdom's mind.

To tell you the truth, if this trend hadn't started I would probably
have
made a similar comment that Her Highness made. I would try to protect
my populace from a cuisine most of the cooks had little idea about and
let the cooks at least cook some dish they had a passing familiarity
with.
I've had some pretty bad modern feasts as well and I've been hailed as
as god because I happened to bring a crockpot of beef stroganoff to my
table.

It is up to the cooks in Trimaris who are truly interested in period
cooking
to assist Her Highness. Perhaps with the luncheon buffets the Crown is
served. She is not adverse to "perioid" food so make her some period
food that it not too far removed from the "perioid" model. Introduce
her to it as simply a different cuisine like Chinese or Mexican. But
make it
a nice "American" foreign cuisine. I believe that Her Highness had her
populace's self interest at heart when she asked for this. Not knowing
how things go in Trimaris they could have had several artsy period
feasts
that were inedible. If she is a true noble she will listen to her cooks
and
try the not-too-scary period food.  Express the enthusiasm and fun
of period cooking and not the "I'm more period than you are" aspect that

some people get.

It's worked for me and it should work for her.

Yers,

Gunthar