SC - Period serving practices

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 18:06:24 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/28/2000 5:20:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aldyth at aol.com
writes:

<< Is there a particular time or place where serving feasts all day long came
 be?  It seems that for the past 6 months a couple of our groups in the
 Outlands are insisting on this "period" practice.  I am referring to the
 feast starting at noon, with a course every two hours or so, until 8-10 in
 the evening.  The feasts have not been well received, nor have they been
 particularly "good" >>

In period, the main meal of the day, the "feast", was served any time between
about 11 am and 2 pm, and could last for hours on a festive occasion (among
other references, Woolgar, C. M.  The Great Household in Late Medieval England
.  Yale University Press, copyright 1999.)  Even on a normal day there might
be several sittings to accomodate the entire household.   So serving the meal
during the day is certainly a period practice, in fact more period than
beginning it at 6 pm or later as we usually do.

As autocrat, I had the cooks prepare such a feast for our shire Twelfth Night
two years ago.  Both the cooks and the populace considered it a great
success.  The cooks were pleased that they could concentrate on two dishes at
a time rather than 8 or 10, and the populace was amazed at the fact that food
just kept appearing.  We had very little left.

Brangwayna Morgan