SC - Re: Period Plant Sources

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 28 22:30:15 PST 2000

Laurene writes:
>I have tried numerous times to grow a paw-paw from seed.  I actually
>accomplished germination on 2 out of 15 seeds (that is a VERY poor
>germination rate if you're cointing ratios!) and both of my seedlings died.
>These are TERRIBLY difficult plants to grow from seed.  I have reached the
>point to where I am ready to just order the plant someone else has grown to
>transplant size, just so I can get my PawPaw fruit!  I desparately want to
>grow these!!!  You must have two different grafted varieties, or two
>seedlings, for pollination.

Actually, all my book sources and personal experiences with
pawpaws are absolutely at odds with your experience.  Pawpaw
seedlings (2 yr. about 18"-24" ht.) are readily available locally for
about $1.50 each.  Out of 25 planted last winter, only two came
out in leaf and these were so weak, they surcumbed by
midsummer.  The books all say that transplants seldom survive
as the young plant sends down a very deep taproot and once
severed will not develop a good root system.  They all agree
growing from seed is the only reliable method for growing
pawpaws.
As to the $50 cost for seeds,  these are pound lots and split
among several folks, they are very reasonable.  I blow 4 times
that much in just my mundane order to Gurney's.  The key
savings is growing a whole lot of seedlings at once to stock
a good sized orchard area.  You can lose  95% of them and still
come out at $1.00 per plant or less.
Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"