SC - Bynzantine food

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 28 23:03:53 PST 2000

Maredudd asked:
> In like fashion, would Apicius be suitable for Byzantium? Since Roman
> culture was transported to Constantinople after the "fall", I would presume
> the foodways would have been as well. If not, does anyone have any ideas
> where I might study Byzantine food?

Check this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section of my Florilegium:
fd-Byzantine-msg  (15K)  7/19/99    Food of medieval Byzantine. Referances.

Actually as Byzantine was part of the Roman Empire earlier, I would say
Roman foodways would have been transported to Bynzantine before Rome's
fall and actually the effects went both ways. However, I would think that
Bynzantine being much further to the east the amount of spices or the
types would probably differ from Rome's. Part of it probably depends
upon the year you have in mind as the later the year, the more divergent
I would expect them to become.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net