SC - Childhood Preferences (long)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Feb 29 07:13:53 PST 2000

> I preferred a very bland and simple menu.
Me too.
In my case, as a child, I had badly misaligned teeth, and texture was
much more of a concern to me than was taste.
Hence I much preferred the softness of hamburgers to the mix
of textures in a good steak.
Even though I have had my teeth straightened, and I have educated
myself, I still flinch at biting down on a bit of gristle ( used to make me
*gag*) or even the very tasty strip of fat on a Steak I actually have to
_force_ myself to continue chewing and swallow. It is very difficult to
do for me.
(Another problem is that I have a distince fear of cooked fish. I think
I may have had a problem with a bone when I was very young, I rember
vividly something getting stuck in the roof of my mouth, though I
cannot date the memory. Anyway, I still break out in a cold sweat at a
cooked fish (like poached scrod), but I love Sushi. I also cant stand
to eat any food that looks back at me from the table, like whold fish or
lobster. Kind of makes living in New England rather difficult.)

However, as a I child would not eat spinach. My only reason is that it
had to taste awful, because PopEye's nephews made such extravagant
faces at it. As a Kid, stuff like this makes quite an impression.
When I finally was forced to eat it, I discovered that I loved it!

>From my observations of my own children I would opine that little kids
often have very clear "rules", which may not seem logical to grownups,
but make sense to a kid. Things like, "if a TV character does not like
vegetables, There MUST be a good reason, so I _MUST_ not like them
either"
The result is that, sometimes, something that they could not wait to
get their hands on at four (steamed brussle sprouts with a little
balsamico), I could not get them to choke down at six if their LIFE
depended on it.

Once I found out why they made up the "rule" I was able to explain to
them why the rule should not apply, but until that time, I could not change
the terms of my son's world. I have seen this kind of absolutism in small
children time and time again.

I have seen my son so absolutely convinced that something was "bad"
that he could make himself physically sick, even if only the week before
he was able to eat it and like it.

Often I try getting him to eat a new thing.
Some of the times I serve it without telling him what it is, and every now
and then he loved it. Then when I told him what he was eating it suddenly
became Gross and Disgusting, and he thought it was awful to the point of
making him too physically sick to continue.
His internal "rules" were more important then the evidence of his own
senses!!

I guess the point of this is that there are frequently reasons that kids
won't eat something, and even if it makes no sense to YOU, it makes
perfect sense to the kids.  You have to get at that reason and substitute
another reason.

Brandu
( who just got his eldest to eat Sushi last month, after finding out that
he connected raw fish with rotten fish, and despite the fact that the
sushi was obviously not rotten, he "KNEW" it would taste "foul and
yucky"!
I was able to address that and the objection melted away.
Guess what? Now he loves to "gross out" his friends by telling them about
eating raw fish!)