SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 29 16:50:13 PST 2000

Jehanne wrote:

I am a cook myself. How does one define cooking a meal 'right'? To some
gentles, it means producing an end product that people will eat with
delight. To others, it is producing a meal close to period as possible,
using means as close to period as possible. Others combine these two with
varying degrees of sucess.

Snip

Everyone defines something differently.  I define cooking a feast right by
1) documenting my recipes, 2) providing information for people before hand
so they can chose to eat what I am making or not, and 3) making sure no one
goes hungry.  See, I can cook a period feast with no problems, in fact, I
sent a sample menu to the gentle who I sent this missive to and asked him if
he would eat all the things I list (all document able, all made by me
before, and only out of one of the many sources I have available).  And you
know surprisingly he agreed that those sounded like good dishes and likes
everything I listed.  So why would I have to change my menu one bit to take
period foods out of them?

Snip

Somewhere around the house (I'll have to find it) I have a button which
reads 'It's not the Society for Compulsive Authenticity!'

No but why should I change my normal standards of cooking because people
wrongly equate period foods with bad foods?

Snip

If High table wants to drink iced tea or tang... fine. They'll do it out of
period goblets and no one need be the wiser. If a cook realizes that
preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or unpleasant to
the modern palate, let them leave it out. We're talking about feast here,
not ArtSci entries.

Because maybe it would offend the cook who has spent all day in the kitchen
making them dinner to choose to bring in something of their own because they
don't like alot of period foods?  I make gingerbrede with pepper and
everyone loves it, never had a complaint about it being bad.  I have made my
choice of art cooking.  So why should I not be allowed to do the best job
that I can in my art just because I want to do things that are period?

Murkial