SC - Recipes: King Arthur's Tea

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 11:58:24 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

ariann at nmia.com writes:

>  The cook book sometimes lists "north" and "South" variations for the same
>  food.  Is there some political/cultural/religious split between north and
>  south Wales that's being accommodated?

Yes.  The North Walians (or "Gogs" as we call them) consider us in the south
to be "Irishmen who couldn't swim"!  This is because there was much more
infiltration of Irish into the south.  Also the South Walians accomodated the
English with less resistance overall.  The North Walians because of the more
craggy and remote countryside were able to resist invasion longer than we
were.  Plus we realised it was a losing battle, whereas they didn't.

The accents in North Wales are much more gutteral and adenoidal than the lilt
we have in South Wales - even when speaking English, and some of the basic
Welsh words for things are different from North to South.  Both are equally
legitimately Welsh, however.  Perhaps there was more influence with Cornish
and Breton in the Welsh of the South.

As a rule each group doesn't particularly get along with the other, but we'd
unite against any outsider sort of thing...

>When I bought the book back in 1979, I assumed the Welsh National Museum
>was just trying to save all the tidbits of culture before they disappeared.
It never >occurred to me to actually look up these districts on a map.

It would be interesting to map the regions to see where the recipes come from
that are named differently or the same.  I don't currently have the book
you're referring to - looks like it needs to be on my wish list for the
future somehow....

>  The book actually has a pancake:county name chart:

I've amended this list [ ] to show the North/South Split for those not
familiar with Welsh Counties.  I've also indicated the South West, as that
area in particular came under a lot of Viking influence.

>  name        plural        county
>  _________________________________________________
>  cramwythen, cramoth       parts of Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan [South to

South West]
>  crempog,    crempogau     the counties of North Wales, generally [North]
>  ffroesen,   ffroes        parts of Glamorgan [South - my family lives in
Powys just                                               over the north
border of Glamorgan]
>  poncagen,   poncagau      parts of Cardiganshire [South West]
>  pancogen,   pancocs       parts of Pembrokeshire [South West]
>  pancosen,   pancos        parts of Carmarthenshire & Cardiganshire [South
West]

>> Incidentally, another local tradition we have is to add a teaspoon or so
>> of newly fallen snow into the batter to make the pancakes lighter.  I
wonder
>> if there are any other recipes that use snow as an ingredient...

>  The book actually lists a "Ffroes Eira" variation: substitute 1 cup snow
>  for the milk in the crempog recipe.  When I'm re-reading the book tonight,
I'll keep >  my eye out for other snow recipes.

Could you please post the recipe for "Ffroes Eira" Ariann?  By my mother's
account the snow should take the place of approximately 1/3 of the milk used
in the batter.  I wonder what the books say...

Thanks :-)
Elysant