SC - OT: Did anyone save the posts about apple varieties?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 1 20:16:18 PST 2000

Lord Ras wrote:
>In a message dated 1/1/00 5:59:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>annaoftderturm at pathway.net writes:
>
><< I did  not know what they were. I would like to make them for a vigil next
>weekend. My question is, can they be made ahead of time, and can they be
>served at room temperature?
>
> Thank you,
>  Anna oftderTurm >>
>
>Well, if people are finding them laying around on buffets, they appear to be
>able to be made ahead of time. So far as leaving things out to serve at room
>temperature, I do it all the time as I absolutely loath any food that is
>served at any other temperature under normal circumstances.

I'd say, they'd be ok to a limited degree, depending on the
circumstances around your vigil. After all, they contain seafood and
dairy, both of which can spoil easily if left out too long in warm
places. But they should be fine for a few hours. As Ras says, they
are buffet food and probably sit around for a couple hours.

They'd loose some of their crispiness if cooked too far in advance.
And microwave reheating would really ruin them, as microwaving make
doughy things limp and tough. But if they were fried in the morning,
refrigerated, and served in the afternoon or evening, i suppose
they'd be ok. Reheating previously fried thingies in the oven is a
possibility... But they certainly don't need to be cooked immediately
before serving - just be sure to store them safely until they are
served.

But don't cook them in the morning, keep them sitting around in the
kitchen or elsewhere until the vigil and eat them all night - in that
case, i'd be concerned about possible health issues.

Once upon a time...
I helped cook a meal for a couple i knew who were getting married.
They wanted to serve paella and got permission from a restaurant 1/2
block from their house in Berkeley to store the cooked paella
overnight in their big refrigerators. After it was cooked, the rice
was put into big new clean plastic garbage cans and put in the
'fridge.

Then before dawn we loaded the cans into a truck or van (sorry, it
was about 30 years ago) and drove it all up to fabulous
myth-surrounded Mount Tamalpais in Marin county. The San Francisco
fog swathed the mountain down to ground level as we arrived before
dawn. Everything was shrouded and mysterious. But as we approached
the peak, we rose above the fog. Soon the wedding began. The couple
walked slowly and stark naked to the strains of the Beatle song "Hear
Comes the Sun" as the sun rose over the fog.

Then people ate the paella. *I did not* And most of them got upset
stomachs, because, of course, that with much rice in such big
containers, the center of the paella never got cool (mmmm, good, warm
chicken and rice sitting around for over 12 hours.)

Not meaning to be an alarmist, since i eat stuff that has sat out
overnight, but only if it was something smallish and sat in a cold
place :-)

Anahita
simultaneously the cautious and the foolhardy