SC - Hops- Brewing

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 1 21:04:01 PST 2000

On 11/9/44 2:59 PM sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

>From:  annaoftderturm at pathway.net (Nancy Santella)
>Sender:    owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>To:    sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG (sca-cooks)
>I have been to the local china buffet and had these wontons with crab. I did
>not know what they were. I would like to make them for a vigil next weekend.
>My question is, can they be made ahead of time, and can they be served at
>room temperature?

In my experience, these would not do well made ahead.  I'm sure the
wontons would sog, and as  the recipe below says, "serve hot" is how
they're supposed to go.

The recipe Ian posted is so "only vaguely related" to the one I know...
oh well, I learned to touch-type a million years ago in high school, 8-).

Crab Rangoon (deep-fried wonton puffs filled with spiced crab)

To make about -160- rangoons

1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 pound fresh, canned or frozen crab mean, drained and thoroughly picked
over to remove all bits of shell and cartilage
1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
one-eighth teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 drops Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 pounds ready made wonton wrappers
vegetable oil for deep frying

Combine the cream cheese, crab meat, garlic, W. sauce, Tabasco, salt and
pepper in a deep bowl.  Beat vigorously with a large spoon until the
mixture is smooth and fluffy.

...Now let me see if I can describe the folding diagram:  With the square
oriented diamond-wise, mound the filling in the center.  Then fold the
bottom point up to the top so you have a triangle with the longest side
on the bottom, horizontally.  Leave the top and bottom edges slightly
separated.  Dab a bit of filling on each side of the central mound of
filling and pull the center point of each short side toward the center
mound and pinch them together over those dabs of filling.  Finally angle
the bottom corners up a bit, like wings.  Actually, the profile you end
up with is a bit like a fleur-de-lis!  You really need to see either the
photograph or the folding diagram.  Back to the regular wording...

Place one-half teaspoon of the crab mixture in the center of each 2"
square of wonton wrapper (instructions say ready-made wonton wrappers
will be this size).  Following the diagrams above, fold the square so it
forms a triangle and shape it as shown. As each rangoon is finished,
place it on a plate or wax paper and cover with a paper towel.  If the
wontons must wait longer than 30 minutes before being cooked, cover them
with plastic wrap and refrigerate them.

Preheat the oven to the lowest setting, then line one or two large
shallow baking pans with paper towles and place them in the center of the
oven.  Pour about 3 cups of the vegetable oil into a 12-inch wok or fill
a deep fryer or large, heavy skillet with oil to a depth of about 2
inches.  Heat the oil to 375 on a deep-frying thermometer.  Deep-fry the
rangoons, 6 to 8 at a time, turning them with a slotted spoon, for about
1 minute, or until they are golden brown on all sides.  As they brown
transfer them to the paper-lined pans in the oven while you fry the rest.
 As you deep-fry succeeding batches you will probably have to replenish
the oil to keep it at the proper level.  Serve rangoons hot.

...You could probably cut the recipe in half, but if you're expecting
more than about 10 people, I'd advise the full quantity.  These are
- -tasty- and about a bite and a half each.  It can be done by one, but two
or three make really light work, with one or two to fold and one to fry...

Have Yum, er, Fun...
Chimene