SC - Looking for Stollen

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Jan 2 10:47:15 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

stefan sez re: mulling spices...
>I've heard of a wider variety of spices being put in wine, but I don't
>know why most of them would not also be good in cider. Except hypoccras
>often seems to have used sharper spices like pepper while I think of
>cider spices as being sweeter ones. But that may be a 20th century
>mindset.

I take a gallon of organic fresh pressed cider or apple juice, throw it
into a crockpot with a couple fresh orange slices, several sticks of good
cinnamon, a Tsp or so of Tellicherry pepper corns, several hunks of candied
ginger, three cloves and a small nutmeg (usually the nubs from my grinder)
smashed. Its a hit at our office christmas lunch and gets requested every
year (along with my "unusual" Xmas CDs (medieval music, of course :))

The crockpot keeps it hot during the party with no tending and no stove. A
similar treatment could be done with wine, of course.

Interestingly, I find little indication that hypocras was served hot. None
of the medieval European recipes I've seen indicate that the stuff is to be
served hot, and I've only seen one or so that indicated that the stuff was
to be heated in preparation. I saw one that was for medicinal purposes, but
that's not the hypocras served with wafers after the medieval meal....

If anyone has any primary source documentation to the contrary, I'd love to
hear it! I love mulled wine, especially when done with a very dry, fruity
white.

enjoy!
- --AM