SC - Wales

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Sun Jan 2 11:21:15 PST 2000

Since the last round of discussion, I have done a little more reading on
this subject. Turns out that the Paradise apple, frequently referenced in
medieval gardens, can still be grown today.  It is used as a dwarfing
rootstock, called "M.9" or Malling 9.  You can get it as a rootstock
(cheap!) for grafting purposes from several mail-order nurseries.   Try
Cummins Nursery, http://www.dabney.com/cumminsnursery
Jim Cummins can give you information about the Paradise apple and how to
grow it.

Note that there is also a modern variety called "Paradise" that is not the
same as the medieval apple.

You certainly don't have to be stuck with the wretched modern Delicious -
even the Home Despot stores out here (CA) carry many other cultivars.  I
just got Whitney Crab and Gravenstein from there.  You should consider
planting a couple of crabs; they will be similar to the "wild" apple-crabs
that were also used in the MA.

Have fun!

Colin