SC - Re: Looking for Stollen

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:56:31 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

SNIP

> To me, Wales seems like a real small place to have much in the way of
> regional variations? Perhaps this comes from growing up in Texas where
> things are spread out more. Just how big is Wales geographically? Or
> how long does it take to cross it at modern highway speeds (50 to 70
> miles per hour)?
>
> Or is Wales broken up by the terrain so much, like the US Appalachian
> mountain areas, that folks tended to be restricted to various regions or
> valleys without much intermingling?

>From my visits to both North and South Wales, the latter is a
very good description.  And, frankly, when I lived in Great
Britain, it seemed to me that people tended to either stay in
their own towns and not intermingle much with other
villages/neighborhoods other than going shopping a a larger city
once in a while, or they headed for a big city as soon as they
could leave home.  It's not the length and breadth of Wales that
is the issue in regionality, it's the terrain. :)

In fact, there are some areas here in the "Endless Mountains"
region of northern PA that reminds me of parts of North Wales.
:)

Bernadette
- --
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.