SC - Period Chinese Food

Drake & Meliora meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Sun Jan 2 18:13:03 PST 2000

    I live in apple country.  If you're getting mealy Red Delicious, they're
overripe.  Those that have been stored too long may also look really
wonderfully dark red, and be rotten in the center.
    Bland Golden Delicious are also overripe.  When reasonably fresh they
have a good strong flavor.
    Growing location may also make a difference.  Apples need so many days
of properly cold temperature to set fruit properly, specific to each
variety.  A tree growing on the fringe of it's range will not have as good
fruit.  Apples can be grown a long ways south if they're an adapted variety,
and only certain varieties will bear good fruit in the colder areas.
    I suggest doing some research first.  The NYS Agricultural Experiment
Station at Geneva, NY has considerable information, and so do many nursery
catalogs.  Miller Nurseries in Canandaigua, NY, specializes in antique
varieties, and there is quite a bit of information just in their free
catalog.
    There is also an old set of books entitled "The Apples of New York",
rich in historical information and storage charactistics of apples, which
was written when people kept their own in cellars.
Diane S.
straight at infoblvd.net