SC - Knowne World Cook's Party and Pot Luck at Estrella War

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 19:02:03 PST 2000

There is !buckets! of documentation for putting expensive spices into brandy
or wine. Please check your local library for a really cool book by Arnald of
Villanova* who has extensive recipes of flavored brandy or wine for taste
and medicinal purposes. Spices in wine was a conspicious-consumption thing,
to the point where (I've been told by a scholar I trust) there's 16th
century German law about how much flavored brandy you can serve to your
guests.

Hess's MWBoC** is a cool source and I've taken several beverages from it,
but there's no fruit-in-hard-alcohol recipes in it.

Thanks,
Crystal of the Westermark

*Arnald of Villanova, (1235-1311). _The Earliest Printed Book on Wine_.
translated from the German edition by Sigerist, Henry E. Published by
Schuman’s New York 1943. There were only a few copies (50, I thnk) of this
volume published. There's one at The University of Califorina at Berekely,
in with the ordinary collection. If anybody can find a translation from the
orginal Latin, I'd love to hear about it.

**Hess, Karen. Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery and Booke of Sweetmeats.
Published by Columbia University Press. NY 1995. ISBN 0-231-04931-5 (pbk.)