SC - Cuskynoles?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 5 22:05:21 PST 2000

Dana Huffman wrote:

> Since there seems to be a lack of postings, I'll jump
> in with this:
>
> I made a rather good dish that is basically chicken
> stewed in orange juice with cinnamon and raisins (out
> of a modern cookbook -- in fact, I think I got it off
> the web somewhere).  Now I want to jazz it up a little
> and was thinking of adding some different/additional
> spices, maybe something with a medieval flavor.  Any
> suggestions?

I suspect it would be hard to get more [English] renaissance than the
dish you describe, albeit it's a little late for medieval. I vaguely
recall a dish very similar to this in The Good Huswives Handmaid for
Cookery, or some such, roughly 1585 C.E. It's reworked in "To The
Queen's Taste" by Lorna Sass, and it's one of those dishes that used to
be pretty common in SCA usage, at least around here, and is still
requested today in spite of much more research material being available
now. It's also a standard recommendation of mine for first-time kitcheners.

Does anybody have the Capon In Orange Sauce After Mistress Duffeld's Way
(I think that's it) on disk? I know I've posted this to the cooks' list
at least once before, and I'm still suffering from Books In Boxes
Syndrome. As I recall the dish is for a capon or chicken braised in
orange juice and white wine with dried fruit and spices, which,
incidentally, includes cinnamon and raisins, respectively.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com