SC - advice needed - possibly OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 6 21:54:16 PST 2000

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 22:06:26 -0500 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:
>Does anybody have the Capon In Orange Sauce After Mistress Duffeld's
>Way (I think that's it) on disk? I know I've posted this to the cooks'
>list at least once before, and I'm still suffering from Books In Boxes
>Syndrome. As I recall the dish is for a capon or chicken braised in
>orange juice and white wine with dried fruit and spices, which,
>incidentally, includes cinnamon and raisins, respectively.
>
>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

This is about the closest I have in my collection. I would like a copy of
the one you are looking for when you find it.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati
(When All Else Fails, Play Dead.)

	To Boil a Capon with Orange and Lemmons
	From “The Good Huswife’s Handmaide for the Kitchen”, 1594
	From The Queens Rapier Champion Tourney: Spring Feast Recipes:
May 8, 1999
	Posted by Nancy Santella (annaoftderturm at pathway.net)
	Take Orenges or Lemmons pilled, and cutte them the long way, and
If you can keepe your cloves whole and put them into your best Broth of
mutton or Capon with prunes and currants and three or Fowre dates, and
when these have beene well sodden put whole pepper, Great mace,a good
peece of suger, and some rosewater and either white Or claret wine, and
let all these seeth together a while, and so serve It upon soppes with
your capon.
	2-1/2 lbs. Chicken Thighs
	1 Tbs. Olive Oil
	1 Tbs. Butter
	2 cups Chicken Broth
	1 tsp. Rosewater
	1 cup White Wine
	4 Oranges peeled + cut
	4 Prunes
	4 Dates
	1/2 cup Currants
	1/4 tsp. Salt
	1/2 tsp. whole Peppers
	1/2 tsp. whole Cloves
	1/2 tsp. Mace
	In a large dutch oven, heat the Oil andButter until hot. Season
Chicken with Salt and Pepper and place in pan. Brown well on all sides.
Soak Prunes, Dates and Currants in 1/2 cup of broth, then coursely chop.
Add 1-1/2 cups of the Chicken Broth, Rosewater and Wine and simmer for 20
minutes. Add the Fruit, Salt, and Mace. Place Peppercorms and Cloves in a
cheese cloth bag and add to stock. Continue to simmer For another 15
minutes or until the Chicken is tender. Remove the cheese cloth bag.
Serve in large bowls with strips of fried bread.