SC - Re: Wafers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 6 23:34:31 PST 2000

Bonne said:
> I'll be there sharing nifty bags of candied orange peel which I beleive I've
> seen late period recipes for, but not having one, they were made from a
> modern recipe.  How different could it be though? boil peels, trim white
> pith from orange peel, boil peel in sugar syrup, dredge the mass of peels in
> sugar so they cool into seperate little yummy pieces.

I think the period recipes for candied peels (lemon, too) have you
repeatedly boil the peels in the sugar syrup. I don't know that they
then dredge the peels in the sugar either.

I believe some period recipes and modern redactions can be found in this
file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of my Florilegium:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net