SC - Cuskynoles?

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Jan 7 14:30:04 PST 2000

"Bonne of Traquair"  wrote:

>I'll be there sharing nifty bags of candied orange peel which I beleive I've
>seen late period recipes for, but not having one, they were made from a
>modern recipe.  How different could it be though? boil peels, trim white
>pith from orange peel, boil peel in sugar syrup, dredge the mass of peels in
>sugar so they cool into seperate little yummy pieces.

Well, they'd be sort of similar but I haven't (as far as I recall) seen instructions
to roll them in sugar or to dust them with sugar.  When I used to make the modern
recipe, my peels were sliced much thinner than period recipes seem to suggest.  It
also was much quicker in the modern recipe.  Period peels seem to be much softer,
at least the ones I've made.  I _think_ the idea was to get the sugar syrup to
coat them well enough that they would be separate and not sticky.  There are
versions of "wet" suckets and peels where there is still syrup on them, but in
modern times we only use the "dry" version.  Yeah, I've taken the "easy way out"
and tried to dry my sloppy peels by rolling them in sugar, but I can't find a
period reference for that part.  I have a couple of peel recipes, as do others
on the list.  I'll send mine privately, since they are long.

Hey!  If you all are coming to next week's Cooking Symposium, the peel recipes
will be in my handouts!  :-)  Who is planning on going???

Alys Katharine