SC - antir 12th night food postmortem and kudos!

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jan 9 22:40:58 PST 2000

Reading over the Melindres mystery, again, reminded me -- One of the
hits, for me, of the holiday brunch/potluck at work was a chocolate
cookie thing that I got the recipe for.  Turned out to be "Saturday Night
Meringues" from "Maida Heatter's brand-new book of great cookies".

Now, I'd love to make these at home, but my husband is highly averse
(maybe allergic) to vinegar and ascorbic acid.  And this recipe calls for
lemon juice or cider vinegar!

Anybody know why?  "to keep the meringue from falling"?  the cookie is
about a 1/4 inch layer of fudgy, not-too-sweet, brownie-like substance,
with a cap of meringue above it...

Thanks,
Chimene