OOP was Re: SC - Happy New Year (OT)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Jan 11 06:20:31 PST 2000

I would crave the List's assistance with my
current dilemma,

I am thinking about making a subtlety
castle.  Now, I don't actually want to make
the structure out of gingerbread or a moulded
cake type mix.

I have been pondering making up some sort of
'brick' in a food form which I could then
make lots of & basically use said 'bricks' to
form the 4 walls.  To ensure that inadvertent
knocks to the table don't immediately send
the structure collapsing, I may 'mortar'
bricks with something sticky (medieval
gingerbread springs to mind).  Alternatively,
I may just use a series of inverted bamboo
kebab sticks to 'stake' it in place.

My current problem is what to make the
'bricks' out of.  I am anticipating bricks to
be possibly 5-10cm wide by 10-15cm long by
5cm thick.  I want them to be reasonably
durable but lightish and have been leaning to
some sort of meringue type mix.  This part of
the castle would have to be cooked several
days in advance of feast so whatever I make
must be able to be stored without going off
or becoming inedible through staleness.

Ideally, I would be using a medieval recipe:
but I am not particularly wedded to this.  I
have been experimenting with shortbreads &
meringues, which is why I am currently
favouring meringues because these have seemed
slightly more successful for my purposes:
but still not quite right :-(

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions (and
recipes)

Thanks in advance,
Lorix