SC - feast planning help celtic/viking

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:33:29 PST 2000

Hello Fello Listies,
This is a letter I am forwarding to the Cook's List because it has the magic
word "medieval" in it.  You may or may not like the recipe.  This writer is a
Dutch woman from another list I am on.
Phillipa
<<
 BOERENKOOL MET WORST

 This is the English translation I could find, but I doubt it is the right
word: kale with smoked sausage.

 This recipe can be found even in medieval cooking-books, and it has hardly
been changed during the ages.

 Here we go:

 You need a big green cabbage (kale). The one with the little curled leaves.
Cut into thin pieces. Cook together with one kilogram (or more, anything
goes, must be 50/50) of potatoes of a good quality. Add some salt. So you
need a big pan. When the potatoes are cooked, take an old-fashioned masher
and mix everything. Add a little lump of butter and some pepper. Serve with
smoked sausages. I always add as a side dish crispy breakfast-bacon, but of
course this is not suitable for a kosher household. But maybe you can try to
find something else that tastes a bit "crispy and salty".

 Here in The Netherlands we only prepare the kale when "de vorst errover is
gegaan" (this is for the ORL's who are studying Dutch at the moment -- keep
practising friends!). That means that we use only kale when it has been
frozen once. And I don't mean in the freezer but on the land. Don't know why
we do this, maybe it is just an idea, but no Dutchman will ever serve you
Boerenkool, when there has not been any frost yet.

 Anyway, I make my Boerenkool a bit different, but as tasty as hundreds of
years ago (forgive me the vanity). I add the kale to mashed potatoes. The
mashed potatoes are made with some cream, some butter, some nutmeg and two
eggs. It is made in the blender. Then I add the (cooked) kale, mix, and put
it in the oven for about 25 minutes. Some people (the real culi-adventurers,
ha, ha. ha) even cover the top with some Parmesan Cheese, but I never do
this. After all, this is Holland, isn't it????

 Hugs for everybody

 Marijke >>