SC - Help!!!!

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 18:48:25 PST 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> < So we worked with some 13th and mostly 14th c. stuff (mostly _Curye on
> < Inglysche_) and focused on serving and presentation. No one said
> < anything (I doubt anyone but the staff even knew that our recipes were
> < two centuries too young) and the feast was well received. So I'd say
> < find what you can, do what you are able, do your best, and it will work.

Just a thought/opinion.  It has been my experience in doing feasts, if your menu
is documentably period and basically regional (i.e. Northern Iberia, Southern
Italy, Parisian France, German, etc.) even the most critical of recreationists in
your area will accept it, and receive it well.  In fact, as was pointed out,
probably wouldn't even know the difference.

We cooks are our own worst enemy when it comes to wanting to do it right and with
flair.  For all but the fussiest of people, if the food tastes good and there is
enough of it, you will never hear a word.  But, put the wrong dishes together,
make too many dishes that have strange or exotic flavering or not make enough, I
can almost garuntee that you will find out.  This is not to say just make it
"period like" and all is well.  That too, may well be enough to keep you out of
the kitchen in the future.  If you always follow rule #1 "Don't let anyone leave
the table feeling that they need or want to stop at the closest burger joint on
the way home", you won't go wrong.

These thoughts apply to feeding the populace.  If you want to try something
strange or different, take it to the cooks guild first if you aren't sure about
it.  That is where you will get your most valuable input.

Just my thoughts and experience, that's all.

Steffan of the Close (The Camp Cook)
Barony of Tyr Ysgithr
Kingdom of Atenveldt