SC - Brie Storage - a little OT

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Jan 13 06:31:01 PST 2000

Karen O wrote:

>     From * 2 15th Century Cookery Books*  the recipe is called: Viaunde of
> Cypres Ryalle
> this particular redaction is from *Traveling Dysshes* by Siobhan Medhbh
> O'Roarke
>
> Cooked chicken: parts/peices
> 1 cup white wine
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup honey
> 1/2 tsp each: cloves, mace & ginger
> 1/4 cup ground almonds
> 1/2 cup currants
>
>     Boil the wine and sugar together for 10 minutes or until it thickens and
> clings to a spoon.  Add honey spices & currants and cook for another 5
> minutes.
>     Arrange the chicken in your serving dish, Pour the hot syrup over the
> chicken.
> Chill well, serve cold.

So how do the almonds figure in? What I'm familiar with under this name
is slices of a sort of ground-capon-meat pudding, thickened with egg
yolks, rice flour, or something along those lines, served under a
reduced wine sauce. Of course there are several variants and this may be
either one I just haven't seen, or a loose adaptation of one that I have seen.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com