OT-Re: SC - Lost characters in HTML

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 14 05:49:00 PST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/13/00 4:45:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com writes:
>
> << I would
>  prefer folks not use the single-character fraction symbols for 1/2 and
>  1/4 etc.  >>
>
> I think the reason you have trouble with this is because some servers and
> programs automatically convert fractions into their appropriate form. Other
> reasons could be that the recipes are copied from databases in programs like
> Mastercook and others which automatically convert them.

They are correct and should be acceptable in HTML
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html#iso-88591). OTOH, there
are browsers out there that have problems with them. Do you want the
Florig-thingy to be as robust as possible, or as fancy as possible? I
know which one I prefer...

> suggest looking in your computer manual and seeing what, if any, function you
> may have turned off that should be on. Barring that an update to your system
> should fix the problem.

Since, IIRC, Stefan does not run his own server, the upgrade option
might not be available. Nor do I think it is a server problem.

My guess is that, the universe not being a perfect place, not everyone
actually uses the same character set (ISO-8859-1 is the one specified in
HTML), and that those extras are things where different character sets
opinion might differ. It might also be a browser/email reader/editor
issue, of course. For robustness sake I would tend to agree with Stefan,
even if that implies a certain level of acceptance of imperfections in
the world.

/UlfR
 Who gets, erm, amused everytime he sees websites (or printed text)
where a perfectly HTML-legal þ gets replaced with something else (type
þ if you _really_ can't enter it correctly). Would english be
legiable if I replaced "w" with #?

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Sometimes, when I lie in bed at night and look up at the stars, I think
to myself, "Man! I really need to fix that roof."