SC - Re Digest 1840

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Jan 14 08:39:12 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I am revisiting the French Toast theme for my entry into our Midwinter
> Arts and Sciences this weekend.  In going back over the messages from
> that discussion (it took me a while to find it, I had forgotten I had
> created an entire folder for French Toast!) I found this late entry from
> Bonne.  My question is, is the phrase "wish a dish turn your slices of
> bread upward" a typo, and if so, what is meant?  with a dish?  using a
> dish to help flip the slices?

Apparently, yes. It may be to safeguard against breaking the slices,
kinda like those enormous spatulas called pancake turners. Remember they
were using a somewhat softer wheat in Jacobean England than we're used
to.  There's a precedent, I believe, for using a saucer for jobs like
skimming the froth off of boiling liquids. Not to mention being the
requisite tool for chicken-fried steak, I hear ;  )

Adamantius

> Thanks,
>         Christianna
> > Is it too late to offer the two of you the recipe from Gervase
> > Markham's
> > "The English Housewife"?
> >
> > 28. To make the best panperdy
> >
> > To make the best panperdy, take a dozen eggs, and break them, and
> > beat them very well, then put unto them cloves, mace, cinnamon and
> nutmeg, and good store of sugar, with as much salt as shall season it:
> then take a manchet, and cut it into thick slices like toasts; which
> done, take your
> > fryin pan, and put into it a good store of sweet butter, and, being
> melted, lay
> > in your slices of bread, then pour upon them one half of your eggs;
> then
> > when that is fried, wish a dish turn your slices of bread upward, and
> then
> > pour on them the other half of your eggs, so turn them till both sides
> be
> > brown; then dish it up, and serve it with sugar strewed upon it.
> >

> > Bonne

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com