SC -Redacting?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 16 21:21:26 PST 2000

Appendix II
Addtitional Information about sources.

>From "Mediaeval Craftsmen"  by John Harvey, Drake Publishers, NY, 1975
"The first of the great English cookery books, "The Forme of Cury", was
compiled by 'the chief masters cooks of King Richard the Second... the
which was accounted the best and royallest viander of all christen
Kings',  and we know the names of two of these master cooks.  Master
Thomas Beauchef, who in his time had cooked for the Black Prince, became
an emeritus cook in 1383 because he was 'an old man and not able to
labour as he used to do'; his fee, wages and robe were continued for
life, and leave 'to go away for recreation and return when he pleases'.
His successor was his junior John Goodrich, who had been in the royal
kitchens from 1363 and went on until 1393.  Beauchef was still alive in
1391 and Goodrich died in 1398. "

DE HONESTA VOLUPATE ET VALETUDINE
(OF HONEST VOLUPTUSNESS AND HEALTH)
OR VIRTUOUS ENJOYMENT AND GOOD HEALTH)
BY BARTHOLOMAEUS DE PLATINA
Printed in roman Type in Venice 13 June 1475
"Platina (d. 1481) was a senior librarian at the Vatican library
This book is important not only as the first printed cookery text, but
also as an excellent source of knowledge of daily life in the
mid-fifteenth
century, and particularly for insights into dietary customs of the time.
    Platina, was not a cook. He is recorded first as a soldier and later
as a distinguished scholar. In 1474 he presented the handwritten
manuscript of his now famous Lives of the Popes to Pope Sixtus IV. The
original is still in theVatican Library. His reward was an appointment to
the extremely important post of Librarian to the Vatican."
>From "Platina's on Right Pleasure and Good Health : Based upon the
Critical Edition and Translation of De Honesta Voluptate Et Valetudine "
by Platina, Mary Ella, 1922 Milham

"The English Hus-Wife" (London, 1615)
          By Gervase Markham. Transcribed and edited by Michael R. Best.
                      "Containing the inward and outward vertues which
ought to be in a compleat woman." The most popular early household book,
covering medicine, cookery, distilling, brewing, dairy work, dyeing,
spinning and weaving. Known to have been in circulation in the American
Colonies. Markham (a male) was more editor than author, and melded
previously published works into a cohesive whole. The modern editor has
added a detailed introduction and glossary, and provided a collation of
variances among the 1615, 1623 and 1631 editions.

"The accomplisht cook, or the art & mystery of cookery... the fifth
edition" by Robert May   London, 1685

"Robert May published his cookbook in 1660 after spending fifty-five
years cooking for several conservative noble families.  His recipes
illustrate both the older, medieval style of cookery of May's youth and
the new French style that would dominate elite cooking in the eighteenth
century.  Recent research indicates, suprisingly, that May borrowed few
of the one thousand plus recipes he published, in contrast to many of his
contemporaries who copied freely from many sources.  May's book is the
first English cookbook clearly organized in sections without any
medicinal recipes." - Review from the Folger Shakespearean Library volume
accompanying the exhibit "Fools and Fricasees: Food in Shakespeare's
England".