SC - petits Journal (long)

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 04:48:38 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> >  "The Accomplisht Cook" by Robert May (1660)
> > "French Toasts.
> > Cut French Bread, and toast it in pretty thick toasts on a clean
> > gridiron, and serve them steeped in claret, sack, or any wine, with sugar
> > and juice of orange."

> Isn't this more of a "sop" than "French Toast"? I thought French Toast
> meant dipping the bread in an egg mixture? If not, then what differentiates
> a sop from French Toast? The use of a sweetener?

I think this is an exception to the rule about an egg mixture. But then,
this may be a case of "French" with a small "f": toasts made in a French
fashion from French bread, but not necessarily what we'd call French
Toast, or a linear descendant of Pain Perdew.

One o' those brown cloth-bound books that I can't get at just now,
probably the Two Fifteenth-Century Cookbooks, has a recipe for
"chamberlain sops" that is, as I recall, almost identical.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com