SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jan 17 08:29:52 PST 2000

sca-cooks wrote:

 SC - Appendix III - A spiritual account involving 'sopas doradas'.
 Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:28:03 -0500
 From: Christine A Seelye-King <mermayde at juno.com>
 Subject: SC - Appendix III - A spiritual account involving 'sopas
doradas'.

 Appendix III

> A spiritual account involving 'sopas doradas'.
>
> A story regarding "sopas doradas", is found in the text of a 1592 Spanish
> book,  "Fructus Sanctorum y Quinta Parte del Flos Sanctorum" by Alonso de Villegas.
  It's a collection of discourses on various (Catholic)spiritual topics.
 Included was an anecdote about a Cistercian monk who was raised to the
rank of cardinal by Pope Clement V.  He was travelling with a group of
monks as attendants.  One of them, a lay-brother, told the cardinal that
when he died, he would be greeted at the gate of heaven by Saint
Benedict, the founder of their order.  The saint would surely question
the cardinal's identity, since he would not be dressed in the humble
habit of his order.  But the cardinal would no doubt be able to explain
that his rank required him to dress differently.  However, Saint
Benedict would then investigate further by conducting a sort of
spiritual autopsy.  He would summon porters to throw the cardinal to the
ground, cut open his chest with a knife, and investigate the contents of
the cardinal's stomach.  If it was full of herbs and vegetables, then
the saint would say, "Truly you are a monk of my order, enter into
Paradise." If however, it was full of partridges and francolins,
blancmange and golden sops... The story goes on to say that the cardinal
took the hint,and thereafter ate meals more appropriate to his monastic
vocation.

> [Thanks to Lady Brighid ni Chiarain, (Settmour Swamp, East (NJ), mka
> Robin Carroll-Mann, harper at idt.net) for the preceding Spanish research
> and translation. ]

Johann vonMetten replies:
  Great story!! very similar to monastic tales told in my monastery days
here in Indy! Familiar to almost all monastics regardless of religion,
 I have even heard this sort of tale from Buhddist monks who stay with
us on occasion!.... "Monks is Monks!!", Dali Lama, St. John's Abbey
1998.

Johann, Benedictine Oblate